Monday, February 26, 2007

Pitchy Dawg's Playhouse

I'm working hard to continue my "weekday blog streak", a little antibiotics usually goes a long way toward clearing these up. Who needs (or has) health care anyway?! Therefore: here we are. It's been a good weekend, full of music, mirth, and merriment. The mirth is viral, antibiotics don't help.

I recorded today with my longtime friend known to some as P-Nut, known to others as Aaron, and known to most as the bass player from 311. We played some jazz for an independent film he's scoring. I met a musician named Geoff Gallego or Double G. We switched off on saxophone (no, not the same saxophone, that would be weird) and Fender Rhodes. I found out that Geoff was at the Mile High Jazz Camp that I went to in '91!! Sammy J. Watson from Apex Theory played drums to form the other half of the rhythm section with P to the Nut. We had a great time and captured some great moments. Both teams played hard.

I also recorded for Kirk Wheeler this weekend. I played flute, bass clarinet, and saxophone on Kirk's last record, and I revived my role this weekend. Zac Rae produced, Joel Martin mocked me from the control room, and we had a grand time.

Tomorrow marks the return to insanity. The American Idol dudes, and more importantly Brandon Rogers will perform. We've all had a week to learn the ins and outs of how this voting hell works. Get ready to dial like you're calling your lawyer and you've just been booked for multiple homicides. You have two hours after the show is broadcast in your time zone. Now you know. Please help. I will be indebted* to you. Vote for Brandon! Do it! He's my friend and he's real good.

I'm playing a little game tomorrow. Anyone remember the "today's secret word" gag from Pee Wee's Playhouse? Tomorrow's secret word is "pitchy". Every time a judge says "pitchy" on American Idol I want you to scream really loud. If you prefer you can make it a drinking game, but make sure you have a stomach pump handy.

By the by, did anyone hear Celine Dion on the Oscars? She had some pitchy moments. Did anyone hear Beyonce? She had some pitchy moments? Has anyone ever heard any singer on earth sing in a televised concert? They'll have some pitchy moments. This is how shit goes when you sing live on TV. You're not hearing it with a loud PA, which will cover up a lot of issues, and you know, humans aren't robots! I'd rather hear Seal sing live and wonder about the pitch accuracy than *ahem* any number of pop artists who shall remain nameless lip sync! Next week the secret word will be "dawg" as in "I don't know dawg, it really wasn't that good."

I have to stop writing now so I can have stuff to say to you tomorrow.




*Actual debt is metaphorical and not redeemable for cash, but I sure will appreciate it.

No comments: