Thursday, January 31, 2008

Groundhog's Gig

My calendar has just informed me that my show on Saturday is on Groundhog's Day. Someone get Bill Murray on the phone and have him teach me how to sculpt ice.

When last we left off I was getting ready to play a gig with Charlie Paxson. We had a hoot. Charlie's boss, Colin Hay, was there. He's a congenial guy, in addition to being a great singer and writer. I'm in his top myspace friends. Booyah.

For a long time the change your top friends was only sortable by email. This was real annoying to me, because I didn't have the patience to sort, or the email addresses of some of my friends profiles. You can sort by myspace url now, so I'm finally able to return Colin's favor and put him up there. Good times.

Slow news day again?

Purrhaps.

Saturday will be a bittersweet show, and not because of the possibility of six more weeks of Winter. Bill Shupp, is moving to San Francisco. Bill or "Shupp" or "Shuppstitution" or "The Shuppster" has played with me for more than five years now! He's played bass, drums, and acoustic guitar, or filled every role on the bandstand except for my own. This Saturday will be his grand finale with me (at least for the foreseeable future). I'm planning a 20 minute Rush medley with a 40 minute slap-bass solo as a tribute to Bill.

Mr. Shupp, your impeccable musicianship, professionalism, sunny disposition, and tech geekery will be sorely missed. Perhaps we'll figure out a way to have him play future gigs via webcast.

No comments: