Friday, January 4, 2008

Rain, man. Chandler.

As Radiohead once said:
The raindrops, the raindrops, the raindrops

Maybe I can keep this going and make my blog "a six degrees of Radiohead quotes" kind of thing.

Or maybe not.

It's raining in Southern California. This is newsworthy, because it's not supposed to rain or be cold here. Also, everyone here has plastic surgery and a script in their back pockets at all times.

Should I be writing a script instead of these words? Probably not.

Continuing yesterblog's theme of reconnecting with artists who have inspired me, I started re-reading Raymond Chandler. To put it briefly, Chandler wrote noir detective books set in Los Angeles. Chandler's "The Big Sleep" became a movie featuring Humprey Bogart and Lauren Bacall. Two of my favorite movies, "L.A. Confidential" and in a more subtle way, "The Big Lebowski" are both grandchildren of Chandler's body of work.

Chandler lived in thirty-some different residences in Los Angeles, in just about every conceivable neighborhood. After reading an article in the L.A. Times (that I can't find, but there's a similar one here) I decided it's time to revisit my first favorite author. Thus far it's been a treat. I'm hoping to work in some snappy/witty, tough-guy dialogue into my blogs.

"I don't like your manner."

"That's alright, I'm not selling it."

Zing!

I've decided to change the spelling of my name back to Zack, or maybe I should call myself "Zing" Hexum. As in Zing a zong of zixpence.

If it rains as hard as they say it will, I wonder if the 3 Hour Tour, will turn into an ark. Tickets are still available, so just in case...

Till next time, don't forget your raincoat.

No comments: