Wednesday, April 16, 2008

they won't carve my face into a mountain, but...

As Gloria Gaynor said, "I have survived." Ok, that's not what she said, but we'll be creative with tenses for the porpoise of this blog. I'm officially done with my first job writing music for TV. I turned in my final episode Monday. The show I'm working on, which shall remain nameless since I'm "ghost writing" (it's really not as spooky as it sounds), has had it's series finale.

It was a success for these reasons:

-I didn't get fired.

-My rent is paid, and there's food in the cupboard.

-I quintupled my producing/recording/mixing experience.

The process went something like this: the producers of the show messenger over a VHS tape with timecode on it, the main composer and I divvy up the scenes, then we furiously and simultaneously compose and record music that's exactly lined up to the various scenes. Next we mix the finished product, and finally upload the music to an FTP server. On average I did about eight minutes of music a week. The first scene I did took me 20 hours to do two minutes of music. By the last episode it took six hours to do the same amount.

I'm hoping to do more television and film in the near future, but for now I'm excited to get back to booking some tour dates. I'll be hacking away at that over the next few weeks, and I'll put 'em online as soon as I know 'em.

Jon Stewart on elitism and the presidential race:

“If you do your job well, they might carve your head into a mountain. If you don’t think you’re better than us, then what the fuck are you doing?”

No comments: