Friday, November 2, 2007

Charmin-of-the-Cob

Last night while reading "The Omnivore's Dilemma" by Michael Pollan, I learned that back in the day corn cobs were "stacked by the privy as a rough substitute for toilet paper. (Hence the American slang 'corn hole.')"

Ow! I love the internet and power steering as much as the next guy, but I have never felt such a need to squeeze the Charmin to celebrate the joy of the truly essential modern comforts.

I wonder if Charmin-of-the-Cob was used in the ol' West. Regardless, I felt no need to achieve that level of cowboy-realism when I donned my cardboard hat and pin on sheriff's badge on Halloween.

Bang bang:



Charlton Heston would be proud: apes and firearm enthusiasts stand together:



Maybe the guy on the left needs one of these beers more than I do:




Tonight I'm off to see The Polyphonic Spree play at the Henry Fonda. My ol' college friend Zac Giffel will be playing the slide trombone with them. I know some trombone jokes that I'd like to share, but they all require visuals. Ask me when you see me.

I had a dream last night that a couple of musicians were trying to teach me a song by bass player Steve Swallow:



I'm currently enjoying listening to M. Ward's "Transfiguration of Vincent" album. Observation: he seems to sing with a lisp at certain moments. My favorite lyric of his: "if life is really as short as they say, then why is the night so long?"

No comments: