Tuesday, November 6, 2007

blog writers lollipop guild

Of all the things I imagined I wanted to be when I was a kid, "web designer" was nowhere near the top of the list. That's probably because when I was eight years-old being a "web designer" meant doodling Spiderman on a spiral notebook. I've never been particular adept at doodling. I am decent at googling, but I can't say there's an art to that.

Point being, ZackHexum.com has been redesigned! Austen Risolvato did the basic graphic layout and I've done the programming. There are still some trimmings to add to this turkey, but please stop by and take a lookski.

What's so dang new-fangled about it? We used the back cover of the new album as the main image to give it that jukeboxy-je-ne-sais-quoi. I set up a flickr page to host photos for those of you who don't like "the myspace". All the lyrics from the forthcoming release are already up. I'm going to put The Story So Far and Realistic Fantasy up in a hot minute as well.

My weekday blog writing streak came to a screeching halt yesterday. I wonder if you, the bloggy faithful, got nervous yesterday that the blog writers guild went on strike with that other writers guild. Yesterday's absence was not a gesture of protest, I spent yesterday programming HTML like it's going out of style. Which in a matter of speaking, it is, but I don't know how to do flash yet.

As a resident of L.A. I get to drive by the striking writers and their picket signs. I wouldn't imagine that people outside of the entertainment industry feel much compassion for people who are at least successful enough to pay union dues in a job that one would imagine most often is a dream come true. Maybe you feel that this issue is akin to the South Park episode where they mocked Britney for not being able to afford a new jet because people were illegally downloading her record instead of paying for it. (For the record, I felt that episode was an irresponsible way to portray an issue that effects musicians as much or more than it effects popstars and record label CEOs. I don't give a hoot about Britney's "jets" either, but that's not why you shouldn't illegally download music. My guess is that cheap concert tickets are a thing of yesteryear as much as a 99 cent gallon of gas.)

I wonder if the writers guild has consulted these guys for advice on how to get what they want? I hear their pension plan is fantastic.



I personally started to feel compassion for the writers when I realized The Daily Show will be airing re-runs until this thing is resolved. Pay them! I've got twenty bucks I'll kick in.

If you're thinking you're having a bad day, just be happy this isn't your x-ray:

No comments: