Thursday, March 1, 2007

Dr. Angelou

If TV is the new religion then watching Iconoclasts with Dave Chappelle and Maya Angelou is Easter Sunday. I learned stuff. For instance, Dave Chappelle can play "Round Midnight" by Thelonius Monk on piano! I'm totally voting to put him through to next week.

There was a fascinating discussion on the "n word" between them. Dr. Angelou said this:

"Now when I see a bottle come from a pharmacy it says p-o-i-s-o-n and then there's skull and bones, then I know that the content of that thing, the bottle is nothing, the content is poison. If I pour that content into Bavarian Crystal it is still poison."

Yao Ming. I'm going to meditate on that for a good long while.

Maya Angelou also had this to say:

"...courage, the most important of all the virtues, because without courage you can't practice any other virtue consistently."

Words, rhetoric, and dialogue are powerful tools. They are perhaps granted more power in the adolescence of this information age because of all the two-lane streets, like this one, that are connected to the "information super highway". I know that without the internet providing an outlet for my words, and more specifically, you the readers taking part in this symbiotic relationship, my writing skills would've stopped growing after I tested out of basic English Composition in college. Now mind you, I did use an incorrect "there" the other day, so they're's plenty of room to grow on my end. Thank you for reading.

The point of all this is we have to seek out words, sounds, and images to inspire us and share that inspiration. I stumbled across my latest inspiration thanks to some well placed billboards and a TiVo. Advertising and marketing don't have to be the devil.

And on that note: I hope to see all you SXSWers on March 17th at the Six Lounge.

R.I.P. to Shaun Livingston's knee. Legs aren't supposed to bend that way. I will not post the video because I might accidentally watch it again and I don't want to puke my scrambled eggs up.

No comments: