Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Swedish Neck Grip

It happened again, but this time the Where's Waldo game was a lot tougher because I was off camera. Yes, I was at yesterday's taping of American Idol, this time off camera, and with a haircut. Yes, I got to meet Randy, and yes, he knows who 311 is now.

I couldn't be prouder of Brandon. I've heard more opinions than a talk radio host after last week's show. As a result, I've learned the Volcan Next Grip, so don't be surprised if you take a nap if you have a song suggestion for me. If I'm a little grumpy about this, it all stems from the fact that I couldn't be more emotionally involved in this show if it were my mom on there.

Last night, I spent the solid two hours voting again. Thanks to everyone who did their part for Brandon. Instead of the Volcan Next Grip, you guys get a Swedish massage (if you treat yourself to one).

After having observed the live taping and watching the same thing on TiVo, it's amazing how much better everyone sounds in person with the band hitting hard, and the energy of the moment. When Brandon sang I had goose bumps the entire time and I couldn't help but have a ridiculous grin on my face the entire time. If I could bottle that feeling and sell it crack dealers would go out of business (maybe they'd unionize).

Blake did a good job on the 311 song, and the whole "I can't believe the judges didn't know 311" factor was perfect, because they must've said "311" fifteen times after his performance. There are 30 to 40 million people who watch that show every week. That's hefty advertising. For those of you who don't know the song, it's on the eponymous release (or the blue album, as the kids say), and it's available now at your favorite CD store. It sold a couple million copies back in '96.

The nerves that I had between Tuesday's "Time After Time" and Thursday's results show will be significantly less this week, because Brandon undeniably sang his ass off, and that's all you can ask for.

Meanwhile, the world keeps turning. There's war in the Middle East, and a meteorite crashed into a bedroom in the Middle West of America.

My studio plans were put on hold to witness Brandon really being Brandon yesterday, so today I'll get back at it.

Till tomorrow:

Thanks for stopping by, but mostly stay classy.

No comments: