Thursday, November 19, 2009

Tubes in the Sky

I have a writing session today. It will be my second writing session with my friend Ron Irizarry. He lives in Florida. I do not. He is in Florida right now. I am not. How will we accomplish such a feat? Will it be the world's longest piece of string with two huge tin cans on either end? If you believe that the internet is a series of tubes, then the answer is yes-ish. We shall make beautiful music over video chat. The future is now... or wait... not yet... just a second... NOW. Yeah, that's the future.

It's manure season in Southern California. The weather is mild, and the landlord of the apartment complex I reside in wants to grow grass. How does he accomplish this? With large quantities of bags of cow poop. The weather is mild, but the windows are shut.

I flew home from my East Coast gigs with Fitz and the Tantrums on JetBlue. They have the TV on the JetBlue. On the TV they have the History Channel, which was featuring a show on 9/11. It's disturbing to watch a documentary on 9/11 at just about any moment. It's extra disturbing to watch the documentary when you're on a plane from JFK to LAX, but I couldn't turn it off. I can't believe it's been eight years already.

I lived in New York during September 11th, 2001. I flew to Los Angeles a few weeks after, at a time when people weren't ready to fly yet. The humongous plane I flew on was mostly empty except for me and a bunch of Los Angeles Firefighters who had flown out to help out with clean up and grief counseling. I sat next to a firefighter with a gigantic mustache and a fresh tattoo the size of a saucer on his bicep commemorating 9/11. I listened to him talk. He gave me an LAFD pen. I think I'd recognize him if I passed him on the street eight years later. I hope I do run into him so I can say thanks.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

I exactly remember that day. I was working at the counter of a health club and the TV was on. We couldn't believe what was going on. It was like Orson Well's radio play about landing of Marsians on Earth. Absolutly unbelievable. We were shocked.

There was a New York party planned for the following week or so, so there was a big poster hanging on the wall. After the first tower had exploded, someone has crossed out the tower on the poster with a black marker. This was macabre but somehow I had to smirk. Gallows humor.

At home in the evening the first thing was my (now ex-) husband said, the americans did it themselves. I've thought he was totally crazy and nuts but then later I've read a lot about this and watched documentary and now I'm persuaded that he wasn't that wrong. That Bush isn't your best friend I've already learnd but you are american and I really don't want hurt your feelings. I dont't know how you think about that. But of course I feel sorry for the victims and their relatives and they still have their pain no matter who had planned the attack.

Andrea said...

I hope you don't get me wrong, I didn't feel to laugh at all, I was very sad and confused and it was just an odd situation. I think we just all wanted to relax our mood.