Tuesday, December 11, 2007

magic eight blog

Oh the weather outside is snowy
and I'm glad I don't have anywhere where to go (e?)

The first week of the December mini-tour is in the books. It feels great to be back in the saddle and seeing familiar faces in relatively far-off places. A special heart-felt thanks to everyone who came to the shows, and extra special props for the people who bought the new album. We've been pre-ordering the new tote bags and t-shirts. They're being shipped via FedEx to Omaha, so they'll be in the mail to your hot hands by the end of the week. The new album is officially available via PayPal through ZackHexum.com!

This week I'm back in Omaha. I was planning on getting back to ol' Westside High School and helping out with my old jazz band today, but wouldn't you know it, it's a snow day.

My high school friend Carey had a syndrome called "Bed, aaaah" that occurred on school snow days. It went like this: you woke up and got on the phone to call the school hotline (it was programmed on the speed dial of my childhood kitchen phone) and got the very rare, and very lovely recorded voice saying "Westside Community Schools are cancelled for December 11th." At that point you would most likely scream and race back into your bed, at which time you would say: "Bed, aaaah." Then you would sleep in real hard for two more hours. I imagined everyone in the city of Omaha doing this at exactly the same time, so if you listened carefully you could hear a few thousand kids hitting the pillow at the exact same moment.

Tomorrow I'm playing Lincoln, NE, followed by Kansas City on Thursday, then back to Omaha for the big Rock 'n Racquets event on Friday, and Mick's on Saturday.

I'm participating in a tennis clinic for Rock 'n Racquets on Friday. I'm currently wearing an early Christmas present: new tennis kicks. This is my first official pair of tennis shoes. No, this doesn't mean I've been wearing penny loafers my entire life, this means that these shoes are actually designed for running on a green court with white lines. I thought my court cred might be diminished if I was wearing my Forum-Blue-and-Gold (i. e. Laker-colored) Nike high-top-moon-boots. Of course my court cred might be diminished if I make an ass out of myself at the clinic, since I haven't had an opportunity to play tennis in the last week or two. Go easy on me, Qwest Center.

The Lakers seem to be doing moderately well despite the fact that I haven't been able to curse at the TV from the road. Whenever I write a blog that says they're doing well they immediately run off a three game losing streak. I bet you didn't know these blogs had such magical powers. Let's see if I can't create some other magic via weblog... Boy it sure sucks that there's no chance that they'll catch the scumbag who stole my alto saxophone last year.

Till tomorrow, stay warm, but mostly stay classy.

No comments: