Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Sesame Street Jedi Mash Up

This past weekend I went to partake of a concert put on by The Shins. I've been a fan of theirs since the Hexum Bros. Tour of 2004. All three albums they've released have been thoroughly digested by me (and even paid for!). I've written on this very web-space how the song Australia helped me regain focus on the emotional response that I want as a listener and a performer. The show did not disappoint. The vocals were soaring and the guitarist on stage right rocked out. Other good news: a friend pointed out that James Mercer has a promising career as Kevin Spacey's stunt double.

Now I turn my attentions back towards my own ego and music. I have two shows right around the corner. I'm making a return to the Hotel Cafe this Saturday, October 13th at 11 pm, and a week after that I play a solo show at Zoey's Cafe and Loft in Ventura.

Last night we rehearsed and stewed up a few surprises for the Hotel show. We're going to do a mash-up of sorts and change around an intro or two. I won't spoil the punchline, but I haven't counted this hard since I tried to prove the intro to "Take it Easy" by The Eagles actually contains a bar of 9/8.

(This is where you smile and nod...)

I read The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell in an attempt to study Sesame Street and figure out how I can apply their strategic use of puppets to the youtube talk show I mentioned in a previous weblog.

Speaking of youtube-schemes, the title of the program will officially be Zack Hexum's Talking Music Show (unless I change my mind). I've already lined up a handful of musician friends who will be my guinea pigs. I'm dreaming up a bastardization of Bernard Pivot's bastardized questionnaire from Inside the Actor's Studio. Dryden from Alien Ant Farm suggested I ask my guests "what's your favorite sexual position?" Seeing as I'm probably going to interview my brother, I think I'll leave that one off.

I'll see you at the Hotel this Saturday (that was my attempt at a Jedi Mind Trick Promotion).

Till next time...

"never betray the way you've always known it is"

1 comment:

Cassie said...

"Do or do not, there is no try"

... well, I'll *try* to make it to Saturday's show. :D