Tuesday, September 11, 2007

All Giant Airlines

Well, dear readers, I am home. I am back, nestled safely in my apartment. The highways are clogged, the sushi is delicious, and the smog is nowhere to be seen for the moment.

I was on the road for two months with Drake Bell, and boy are my arms tired? I'm Ron Burgundy?

We ditched our tour bus for the last couple of gigs and had some fantastic voyages on some fantastic and some not-so-fantastic airplanes.

We flew on Express Jet, which I had never heard of. We avoided any La Bamba moments, so I'm not complaining. I will, however, mock. They shared their checkout desk with Allegiant Airlines. Allegiant seemed to be just one step below Express Jet. Exhibit A:



To my eyes that says "All Giant Air". Maybe they only fly puddle jumper planes with low ceilings, like our Express Jet flight. Their slogan could be "All Giant Air, you'll feel huge when you get on our tiny, noisy plane!"

On the other end of the spectrum: we played a private party in Pennsylvania. After our performance in San Diego (where I had seen my brother's band perform at the same venue years before) we were whisked away on a G-550 private jet. I am ruined for life for commercial airlines now. You know how most planes have a floatation device cushion? We had cushions made of sashimi and baby panda bears! Not really, that would be weird. But seriously, no expense was spared. I sat in the jump seat with the headset on. I don't have any issues with flying, but my hands got clammy when we took off. Sitting in the cockpit is like sitting in the front of the roller coaster. The good news is, it's only $8000 an hour to rent a G-550, so I wanna go again!!

Here's a crappy cell phone picture of the jet:



In order to pay for my next jet ride, I'll need all my friends come to my "welcome home" show at the Montmartre Lounge next Tuesday, September 18th at 9:30 (this is real time, not "I'll tell you 9:30 and it's really 10"). Hope to see you then.

No comments: