Friday, July 18, 2008

hoosegow

It was a musical odyssey. I don't know if anyone recorded the set from Aura last night. If not, there's no hard proof, and I can either tell you it was the greatest or worst show in the history of the world and you'll never find evidence to the contrary. Let's go with somewhere in the middle, yet leaning towards the greater side.

John Wicks plays drums, and plays them well. The show was our first extended musical experience together. Joel and I have played together for most of my six years in Los Angeles, and his ability to grow as a musician never ceases to amaze. We had moments of sublime empathy last night.

Playing improvised music provides a meditation for me on stage. I find myself in an entirely different state of mind then during my rock performances. During our rendition of Beck's "Nobody's Fault But My Own" (thank you Rob for the charts) I felt the audience was with me on each note. I played soprano, and I slipped away from the microphone to release all my air into the horn.

While my jazzy ambitions took a step forward, my career as a standup comedian took a step back last night. I brought my Nalgene bottle filled with water on stage. Joel asked what kind of concoction I was drinking and I said "water". He said "Daddy's water tastes like fire." I "lol"ed and repeated his line into the microphone to share with the audience. This was met by a deafening silence (and chances are high you're not laughing right now either). To which I replied, "even the banter is going to be esoteric and totally incomprehensible tonight."

What else do I know?

I got an iPhone. I did not buy the new one, I got one from a friend. I may or may not have tweaked it out, and I may or may not be playing Mike Tyson's Punch Out on my mobile telephone next time you see me. Aren't I stealthy? I feel like I should be wearing a trench coat filled with wristwatches.

I am on call for jury duty next week. This may not work out well because I'm flying to New York on Thursday. I informed the nice jury-duty-phone-line woman of this, and she said, "that's ok, just tell them when you get there what your schedule is." I'm not afraid of being on a jury. I think it would be an interesting experience, and I believe in the concept of civic duty. I'm a little perplexed as to how, as a self-employed entrepreneurial type, I'm supposed to keep my life moving if I got called into an epic O.J.-style trial. Fortunately I can blog from my iPhone now, although the typing is nowhere near fifty words a minute. Has this episode of Law and Order happened? Musician is thrown in the hoosegow for updating his myspace page in the jurors box while McDonald's is on trial for having coffee that's hot... *bong-bong*

No comments: