Wednesday, April 4, 2007

It's a beer bottle

My iTunes is on shuffle currently. Jon Brion's I heart Huckabees soundtrack just came on. I knew a guy named Huckabee in college. Scott Huckabee, was his full name I think. He had mutton chops and often wore a shirt with thick black and white horizontal stripes. This made him look like an old-timey pirate. He rarely spoke, except for one particular time in the jazz records class we were both in. One day Dr. Joyner was lecturing on the Headhunters tune "Watermelon Man". It has some flute-type instruments which Dr. J told us were of African origin. Huckabee bellowed out "it's a beer bottle!" with no prompting. These might be the only four words I ever heard him speak. He was implying that they weren't playing flutes, but instead were blowing into bottles. My jazzy friends would often interject "it's a beer bottle!" into conversations at random moments whenever possible over the next few semesters. I heart Huckabee.

I've added a show in Hermosa on April 18th. Details are forthcoming on that one. Also, I'll be playing the Hotel Cafe on April 26th at 10 PM.

Monday evening I attended Metal Skool at the Key Club. I opened up for them around a year ago with my "Roller Derby" band that featured horns, keys, and two guitars. On Monday I was there to watch Brandon Rogers sing "I Believe in a Thing Called Love" by The Darkness. It was a hoot, and Brandon sang his ax off.

Metal Skool is great at what they do, but I can't help feel conflicted that the most successful band in Los Angeles is a cover band. They're approaching their seven year anniversary on the Sunset Strip. I need to buy a wig and get a shtick. Maybe I'll get a curly white wigs like they wore in court back in the day. I'll start a Mozart cover band, only everything will be really fast with a techno beat behind it.

In other news, my computer is acting squirrely again. This isn't funny any more. I'm considering nailing it to my desk so I'm not tempted to try "fixing" it by throwing it out the window.

1 comment:

Amy Misterek said...

Zack-
I love to listen to you write and, yes, I mean what I just wrote. As I sit here at 3:30 a.m. trying to stay awake through a seldom worked night shift, I feel like I hear you speak through your words. Just a compliment- at least you know I'm not a horny teenage girl just looking for love. Amy here- your married, mother of two, high school flame. It's nice keeping tabs on you and please, don't give it up. No offense, but you are a much better musician than you would be a doctor (remember, we were in pre-calc together). Take care