Thursday, September 25, 2008

clutter fried brainbox

My quest to write one song a week is on track! Sort of!

Everyday this week I've come up with pieces of songs, usually one verse and a chorus. Nothing's finished yet, but I'm moving in the right direction. A friend told me about the book "The Artist's Way," and some of the exercises therein. I'm three-fourths of the way through "Shantaram" by Gregory David Roberts and I have no intention of cracking another book until I'm finished. Instead I'm beginning my creative process each day with a page or two of free association. This has given birth to little two word babies like "befriend anemone" and "clutter fry" As to whether or not this scribed babbling will lead to a song, yo no se. I feel like these pages are mental calisthenics, so as long as I don't pull a hammy in my brainbox, everything should be good.

I can't help but wonder how James Mercer comes up with these gems:

"But when they're parking their cars on your chest
You've still got a view of the summer sky
To make it hurt twice when your restless body
Caves to its whims
And suddenly struggles to take flight..."

I'll have what he's having.

Speaking of free association, last night I put popcorn in a bowl of turkey chili, and it was delicious.

My next voyage is October 7th at Boardner's in Hollywood. It'll be solo electric, and I'll mash my fingers way up on the tiny strings.

No comments: