Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Highway Bootleg

I like it when I use the wrong "to" in blogs, like I did at the end of the last one. Westside High School is beeping in right now and they're calling two ask for my diploma back. Zing!

I've re-discovered an old demon from my past: TV without TiVo. I've been known to surf channels in my early years. Hotel rooms don't come with a DVR, therefore I've been hanging ten on the 40 or so channels that are offered. Not good times. The past few nights I've been letting the TV lullaby me to sleep, and keep getting sucked in before I can count the sheep. "Just one more lap through the channels while I'm waiting out this last commercial break on Law and Order: Special Reruns Unit," has been my nightly refrain.

Speaking of old demons, I'm reaching that point where I'm tempted to buy new underwear and socks to postpone laundry for a few more days. A midnight run to the evil of Walmart for boxer/brief/shorts was a semi-annual occurrence in college. There's a mall connected to this hotel, which is a slightly-wicked and welcome convenience. When you're on a tour like this you get paid a cash per diem to cover food. Two out of three meals a day are already covered by catering on gig days. The mall is the surest way to have that per diem fly out of your pocket. I smell an Orange Julius in my future.

I almost forgot to tell ye, my new album is being mixed! I've enlisted the formidable talents of Mark Dearnley to mix it. Mark worked on "The Story So Far" with Don Gehman, and perhaps more importantly mixed one of my all time favorite albums, The English Beat "I Just Can't Stop it". I'm planning on it being done and ready for purchase by September. Don't be scared.

The tour is going swimmingly. We've started writing new songs on the long night bus rides. If you pull up next to us on the freeway make sure to hold your mini disc out the window so you can be the first on your block to have the bootleg.

No comments: