Thursday, July 19, 2007

Big Willie

It's officially a tour! I know this because I have a sore throat. Hot tea, here I come.

I'm in the groove and enjoying it. We stayed in a hotel where each floor had a different theme. I was on the floor of champions. A Rocky impersonator said, "yo! This is the 10th floor." To which I would reply, "Adriaaaanne!" That'll break the ice, I tell ya.

Highlight of the tour thus far: we took a rest at a truck stop in New Mexico. A nice southern gentleman asked which tour we were with, to which I uneasily replied "Drake Bell." I was expecting an awkward or uncomfortable encounter to follow, but he said "we're with Willie." As an aside, you know you are a baller if you can be referred to be a first name, one as common as William, and nine out of ten people know exactly who you're talking about. No, not Willie Smith, not Willie Cosby, or Willie Clinton. Twas Willie Nelson. After the band stopped crapping their pants at the possibility of meeting a living legend, we calmly asked for an awkward/uncomfortable introduction and got our wish. He was very cordial and gracious and shook each of our hands (on his bus at 11:30 at night!). We also got an invite to his golf course in Austin. I smell a hole in seven in my future.

Speaking of smells... Steven is the bass player for Drake on the tour. His bag, like the rest of ours, was stored in the bottom of the bus. His bag, unfortunately, had an awkward/uncomfortable encounter with the (if you're squeamish, stop reading now!) urine of seven to eight men. The toilet on the bus sprung a leak right on to poor Steven's suitcase. Not, not, not, NOT fun times! There's no real happy ending to a story that starts with gallons of pee on your clothes. So let's just move on...

I spent yesterday's day off making a new track on my road recording rig. There were many vocal harmonies, and many layers of analog synth.

I also sorted through all the audio from my gig at Zoey's on June 8th and will be putting one of three different tracks on the myspace in the not-too-distant future.

More bus tales: we were parked across the street from the hotel. I was disembarking from our home on the road, and a middle-aged local said "are you celebrities?" First of all, it was just me, and although I've been known to be moody, at best I could only hope to be one celebrity, not many celebrities. Point being, if you have to ask that question, the answer is invariably no.

After many, many moons of having a stale website (a smell worse than multi-men-pee) I've come up with a new concept for ZackHexum.com. I'm sending out emails to a few different web designers to see how many limbs I'll have to mortgage. It's most likely a few months away, but sooner than later, we'll have a new website to romp through.

See you soon...

No comments: